The Whole School Target for every student is 97%
Why 97% attendance?
97% attendance equates to 5 days off a year.
In most fields of employment 5 days absence is the point at which action is taken by the employer as any further absence is regarded as poor attendance.
As a school we want to prepare our students for excellent work habits; regular attendance and excellent punctuality are parts of this work.
Attendance figures can flatter to deceive. 90% attendance a year means 3.5 whole weeks (17.5 days) of lessons have been missed.
‘Working together for excellence’
- Department for Education research shows that around 17 days missed a year risks a whole GCSE grade DROP in achievement.
- The greater the attendance the greater the achievement.
Regular school attendance helps a child to:
- Establish good habits
- Be supervised and safe
- Prepare for the future
Irregular school attendance:
- May put your child at risk in the community
- Seriously disrupts continuity of learning
- Undermines educational progress
- Leads to underachievement and low attainment
- Reduces likelihood of further education opportunities and training
- Creates a higher risk of unemployment
- Creates a greater risk of being drawn into criminal or anti-social activity
- Parents may be fined up to £2,500* per child if their child's school attendance is unsatisfactory. A parent can be given a prison sentence where non-attendance is condoned. (* excluding costs)
There is a dedicated attendance telephone line to notify school of student absences. Parents/carers should call 01454 862585 each day of absence and leave the following information:
- Student's name
- Tutor Group
- Nature of illness/reason for absence
- Expected date of return
- Caller's relationship to student
- Attendance Matters Leaflet
- Attendance Procedures 2018 19
- Days and Hours Missed
- Illness leaflet for parents
- Marlwood School Attendance Diamond
- Marlwood School Leave of Absence Form
- Penalty Notices Parents Carers Leaflet